Life at Lasalle College of the Arts

02:09

Wow, it's been a little more than a month since I last updated my blog. It's pretty dead here. D:
It's just that I've been busy with school and life and such. And trying to set my life back on track due to school. Oops. Maybe that's just a little exaggerated.

I kept seeing updated blogs and I felt the urge to write up some stuff that is not related to my academic studies.
So, here's what I learnt from my Diploma Year 1 school life at Lasalle (dem art schools):


#1 EVERYONE WOWS AT THE ARCHITECTURE



Most people are impressed by the architecture of the McNally campus where most classes are held (mine included). Well, it sure beats looking at white walls all day long and maybe it motivates the students a little, having an aesthetically pleasing campus.



#2 THERE'S NO DRESS CODE

Meaning, you could practically wear anything that you fancy, be it a fancy dress, tees and shorts, slippers, or tube tops (have not seen anyone in birthday suits so far).
And yeah, you could also get any hairstyle if you could pull it off.
The saddest part is, I already gave up dolling up for school after the second week, not that I did much anyway.



#3 THEY AIN'T KIDDING ABOUT THE WORKLOAD



I'm drafting this post at 1.30am on a Monday night. I spend my weekends as well as most nights on homework. The worst thing? I still couldn't finish my work. Same applies to 90% of my coursemates.
Aside from 3 different 3-hour studio classes, there are also workshops and contextual studies. Work will definitely pile up when you stopped giving a damn.
All in all, Diploma Level One at Lasalle has more work than my high school and that is saying a lot since my high school was well-known for stressing out lots of students.



#4 SLEEPING AT 12AM IS CONSIDERED EARLY
It is not unusual for students to sleep at 4am due to work and wake up at 7-8am to attend classes. No sleep for some people when submission deadline is the next day. (Un)fortunately, I couldn't not sleep. 3 hours is better than nothing, right? RIGHT?


#5 WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO



And... there's this matter of money. Most food places near Lasalle is not cheap. Period. The cheapest meal nearby are the hawker centre and a chicken rice store somewhere below a HDB flat (~ S$3). When your friends want to have food above S$5, you might need to reconsider if you don't really have a fixed income and when most of your money is converted from MYR (currently around 1:3). AND THERE'S ALSO LLAOLLAO



Also, I never knew that art supplies could be SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. Who knew that a Bristol board around an A2 size costs about S$2.90? Or that 90ml acrylic paints cost about S$6 (and we needed about 11 colours)? Or even 300gsm A3 watercolour pads that are S$16 for 10 sheets?



#6 THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER THAN YOU
Well, to be honest, not everyone is good at every single aspect of life. However, there are some people who excel at almost every subject at art school. Sure, different people have different art styles but there are always times when you doubt yourself and your works.



#7 YOU'RE USED TO PEOPLE GIVING YOU WEIRD LOOKS



As in people looking at you and wondering, 'what is she doing, carrying this huge drawing board on the bus and MRT. Show off issit? Is this the new hipster trend?' Nope. I don't even want to lug an A2 drawing board to school at the first place.
Or during Gray Matters classes where we are all supposed to do stuff in public that will make people turn heads, e.g. walking barefooted on roads, walking blindfolded, "dressing up".



BTW, ever tried spending 45mins in a cargo lift for class?



#8 THERE'S EVEN MAKEUP CLASSES FOR PH
Basically, syllabus not finished = no holidays at all. EVEN THE 1-WEEK TERM BREAK WAS USED FOR MAKEUP CLASSES. And the classes that we missed were for public holidays. Do you not get the word public? :(



Almost 3 months in and I'm super tired most of the days. It is near impossible to perfectly balance schoolwork, social life, relationships, and sanity. Oh, and money.
Not sure if Year 2 will be as bad, or worse. Meh.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Hi, Thanks for publishing such an informational blog. I am really amazed with the creativity you shown with pictures they are really helping in getting more understanding of college. We are a student accommodation consultant in Canada. Student coming Canada for pursing there education often ask us regarding the lifestyle of campus. Your blog will surely serve the purpose. I'll bookmark your blog and refer to students.

    Thanks & Regards
    Student Accommodation Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative and attractive blog. i also try to draw this art every students who are interested they should to read and try this blog.

    https://smartgirlstyle.blogspot.com/2012/10/living-room-makeover.html?showComment=1592942757814#c7299957432035790669

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really amazed with this creativity.
    These pictures are really Amazing.
    Love to see such great article.
    I need to say that you are doing a fantastic work.
    Please keep it up the great work.
    student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I search many blog about International Student Accommodation but did not get many specific detail about the this topic.
    But your blog have allot of information about my topic which I always searching.
    Thanks spainexchange.
    student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your web site via Google whilst searching
    for a similar subject, your website came up, it looks good.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    student accommodation brisbane

    ReplyDelete

around the world

Flag Counter

Total Pageviews