Siem Reap: Bayon Temple

21:25

Bayon Temple might not be the biggest temple within Angkor Park but it is certainly the most beautiful one for me. Why, you ask?
The temple is adorned with approximately 200 hand-sculpted faces! It is tedious enough to sculpt one face but 200 faces?!!

A little back story: Located within Angkor Thom, Bayon is built back in the 12th/13th century and it served as the official state temple under the rule of the Mahayana Buddhist King Jayavarman VII.

I went to Siem Reap during the start of low season (mid June), and I was lucky enough to finish my tour at Bayon before the rain started!



After a quick climb, I was greeted by a magnificent sight.







And yes, the place is still surrounded by tourists even though it is low season.



Managed to get a few snaps by shamelessly asking other people to take photos of me. My camera died midway through Angkor Wat so I had to resort to using my phone.. and it doesnt have a decent enough camera.



Of course, preservation and restoration works are forever ongoing and the more dangerous pathways will be cordoned off. 
The DO NOT ENTER sign is there for a purpose, y'know?





One of the faces found at Bayon Temple is of the king's. To be honest, they all look quite similar and I'm not that good at faces so I just randomly took a shot.



(also visible is the henna I got from Pub Street two nights ago)





Also struggling to stay hydrated and fresh under the scorching sun.





Also slacked a little with some freshly-made juice before heading to the next stop: Ta Prohm.



Stopped to take a few photos at one of the gates of Angkor Thom. It is indeed a marvelous creation. I know that I will miss this place.



I hired a tuktuk for the day which costs about $15, quite a reasonable price for a place full of tourists. Did I mention that a 3-day pass is already $62? They just doubled the price earlier this year. Ouch.




Click the image above for more information on my trip to Siem Reap! Or click here for more travelogues :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

around the world

Flag Counter

Total Pageviews