National Museum of Cambodia, Phnom Penh.

23:18






I thought that it would be a good idea to save the $3 and skip the audio tour so that's what I did. The entrance fee for foreigners is $5.

The Khmer architecture itself is fascinating so I took a few photos of the exterior.
Elephants are also important in Cambodian history as the rich and powerful would travel on elephants.



The museum boasts one of the world's largest collection of Khmer artifacts. Unfortunately, photography is not permitted within the buildings.
Some of the artifacts found within the museum grounds were collected from the Angkor ruins. It gave me a quick glimpse of the difference between Angkorian and Bayon works (and works from other periods).

The works were introduced in Khmer, English, and French (as it was once colonised by France).
The museum is divided mainly into two parts: Hinduism and Buddhism. Flowers and hand-woven bracelets are given as offerings to the gods. A small donation box/bowl is also placed there so if you are not comfortable with that, it is okay to just politely refuse.





The museum encloses a courtyard where there's a buddha statue (I suppose) and a few ponds. It is actually a nice place to sit and relax for a little if the weather wasn't so hot.
Seats are also available within the exhibition areas so feel free to take a seat when you're tired.

Benches were also provided so I did some sketching and attempted some selfies. Basically taking in my surroundings.



That signature half-face selfie, taken from my Snapchat album.


(another Snapchat photo. Excuse my Manglish/Malaysian English)

As I was exploring alone that morning, the statues there were the closest things I had as friends in that hour.

On a more serious note, heard some other tourists talking about how this museum is not up to standards and they should have more interactive tours such as film screening and such.
I agree. The Angkor National Museum in Siem Reap seems much better and more museum-like. I mean, I like the National Museum of Cambodia but I doubt that I will be returning soon enough.
However, it is also located near the Royal Palace so you could plan a visit to both places at the same time.
National Museum of Cambodia
Preah Ang Eng, St. 13, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Operating Hours: 0800-1700 everyday
Website: National Museum of Cambodia






You Might Also Like

0 comments

around the world

Flag Counter

Total Pageviews