Gangnam 88, Solaris Mont Kiara.

21:46


Celebrated my sister's birthday in advance as it was Labours' Day (her birthday being 2 May). So, I made a reservation at the Gangnam 88 outlet at Solaris Mont Kiara a week before her birthday.

One thing you must know about my sister, she's a die-hard fan of Big Bang's (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, Big Bang is a K-Pop group). When I found out that there's a small partition at the Gangnam 88 outlet at Mont Kiara that has a huge poster of Big Bang as a backdrop for diners... Well, I decided to surprise her. 




Gangnam 88 is located on the 1st floor (well, the one on ground level being Ground Floor)


There's also an elevator for those who are unable or are lazy to climb the stairs.



It's quite a small place in my opinion but since when did I let it stop me from eating?





Unfortunately, the "room" which I had booked earlier was occupied by other patrons. Apparently, they were there since 11.30am and still would not leave after 1.30pm. 

Well, the staff should let them know that we've booked the place at 1pm. Therefore, we were a little disappointed when we arrived to find that the room was occupied. My little surprise was ruined but in the end, they let us have the room after 2pm.



We had our lunch at another table instead. The pre-birthday girl's contented look.


Dwaeji-galbi, which is basically BBQ pork (RM 33)
They also have a larger portion for RM 49.
The pork is juicy and lovely and I added in some mustard to mine, which made it better (in my opinion). Top it with a layer of fresh lettuce and you can't stop eating it. 


The famous Beer Chicken (RM 50). Keep in mind that this dish needs about an hour to prepare so try to order in advance if you could.
It's not very beer-ish nor very alcoholic but the chicken is appetizing and delicious. Eat it hot.
And how often can you see a chicken served this way? (note my sister's ogling look) 


One of the toothpicks had Top's (a member of Big Bang) photo on it and my sister almost wanted to smuggle it home but in the end, the waiter took it away before she could react.


If you are worrying about how you are going to cut the chicken into edible portions, don't fret. The waiter will handle it.

And we bought Groupon vouchers again. Somehow I missed the Beer Chicken voucher but we don't take alcohol anyway so it didn't matter much.

Meal for 3 people (without cocktail) for RM85 instead of RM113.30:




Kimchi jigae (RM20) - Pork and tofu kimchi stew. It comes with a bowl of rice.
Well, I don't often take kimchi stews and it is a little spicy for my taste but if you have it with the rice it's quite OK.



Rabbokggi (RM 33)  - rice cakes and instant ramen noodles. 



Budae jeongol (RM 50) - Pork and udon noodles stew (if I'm not mistaken. I could not find any references online though and the information on the Groupon website is quite misleading)
It tastes quite good but well, not really worth the money..



The set comes with 6 refillable side dishes, a.k.a. banchai.

The thing about this Groupon set is that the dishes are all similar to taste. I mean, there wouldn't be much variety if we hadn't ordered the Beer Chicken and the BBQ Pork.

We moved into the "Big Bang room", as my friend called it, quite a while after the food arrived.




Look at her happy face now.






And lookie here, Wi-Fi password!



Sis took a ton of selfies and deleted them. *sighs*



I took a selfie with PSY instead. LOL.







As I mentioned before, the place is small but it is perfect for a few friends and small talks. They also sell K-Pop merchandises but well, it'd be awkward if you look at them when some random stranger sits at the table near the merchandise corner..
On the plus side, we managed to walk out of the place without a BBQ-smoke smell from our clothes.



There's also a voting panel near the elevator.. I'm not a huge K-Pop fan but my sis seemed to know what she was doing.

I declare this birthday lunch a success!

Anyway, acting on a hunch, I went to Gangnam 88's FB page..


and I found this photo of us. Hahahahaha. Darnit. Oh, did I forget to mention that we invited my godparents over too?
Well, Gangnam 88 uploads their customers' photos onto their FB page and their website.



Well, I'll probably give it another try as I think I'm in love with their BBQ Pork...

Food: 7/10
Ambiance: 8.5/10
Price: 6.5/10
Service: 7/10
Overall: 7.3/10

(for reference only)

GANGNAM88 Solaris Mont Kiara
No. 1-1, Jalan Solaris 3, Solaris Mont Kiara
Off Jalan Kiara,
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Tel : 03 - 6206 5888
Opening Hours: 11.30am - 1am





You Might Also Like

0 comments

around the world

Flag Counter

Total Pageviews