The Hunger Games

12:29

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!"
I was quite surprised when quite a few of my friends showed an interest in reading the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins earlier last month. I mean, not a lot of people noticed the book before the movie was on big screens.

I myself finished the books 2 years back, when they are quite new. I was flicking through a book-ordering brochure from Scholastic Books and voila! "The Hunger Games and Catching Fire for only RM30". I've never heard of it then but the story sounds promising and so, I bought them.

The Hunger Games triology


After finishing the first two books, I was hooked to the story. The story featuring Katniss Everdeen was awesome. I cant say that I agree to the gruesome things the tributes in the 12 districts do to get other tributes killed but I've never seen another story like it. After the final book, "Mockingjay" was out, the story took a surprising turn for me. I mean, I've never thought that there'll be a rebelling district which was hidden from the Capitol. 

The Hunger Games: 
In Panem, there are 12 districts which surrounds the wealthy Capitol. As a punishment for their past rebellions against the government, the Capitol begun a televised event which takes place every year, The Hunger Games. Each district is required to choose a boy and a girl as tributes to the game. They will then fight to death in an arena in the Capitol and only one of them will emerge as victor. The people in the Capitol take this as a reality show and enjoy watching the tributes kill each other. 
When Katniss Everdeen heard her sister's, Primrose, name called out during the reaping (the event where each district choose a male and female tribute to represent them for the games), she volunteered to go. She then went to the Capitol with Peeta Mallark, who had a crush on her and had to leave her friend-and-crush, Gale Hawthorne behind at District 12 to take care of her family. They were guided by Haymitch Abernathy, who once won the Hunger Games, who was quite a drinker. 
-ok. story-telling time ends here. I'll spoil your story if I continue-

The books are quite expensive now. I went to a bookstore with my friend and saw that "The Hunger Games" was around RM40. She wanted to buy it. She was not the kind of person who reads English novels but there are some exceptions when a book is trending. 

The movie, The Hunger Games, was quite good too.

The movie: The Hunger Games

For those who havnt read the books, the movie is another option to know the story. The movie was starred by Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland and Elizabeth Banks

Jennifer Lawrence, as Katniss Everdeen
Jennifer Lawrence also played Mystique in X-Men: First Class. She was nominated for the Golden Globe and Academy Awards and was defined as the "most talented young actress in America" by the Rolling Stone.

Josh Hutcherson, as Peeta Mallark

Josh Hutcherson starred in quite a few movies that I've watched, including Zathura, Bridge to Terabithia and Journey 1&2. He also voiced Markl in Howl's Moving Castle (the English version), based on a novel by Diana Wynne Jones.

Liam Hemsworth, as Gale Hawthorne
Liam is an Australian actor who played Josh Taylor in the soap opera, Neighbours and Marcus in The Elephant Princess.

There are also lots of co-stars who had starred in quite a few major movies and I heard that the movie sequel to The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, will be out in 2013.
Keep your fingers crossed!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

around the world

Flag Counter

Total Pageviews